Presentation Language School
The primary focus of our school is on Communication Proficiency with special emphasis placed on the oral. To this end, new teaching methods are used together with pedagogical books created by the staff of VOXLINGUA.
Each student is taught at his own pace and given ample opportunities to truly progress.
A family school
At Voxlingua, everything is on a human scale :
1. the village of Leysin is a small ski resort of about 2000 permanent residents.
2. the Voxlingua school is small and so is the number of students per class.
3. contacts with the staff are frequently continued outside of class.
4. contacts with French-speaking Swiss people are proposed and encouraged.
An innovative pedagogy
VOXLINGUA provides its students with its own innovative pedagogical techniques and methods enabling quality learning.
Several books and methods developed by Dr. Hourcade are applied in the school.
A practical program
We are happy to help students put into practice the academic contents learned in class through a series of practical activities outside of the classroom.
Therefore, some of the class time is used to practice French while :
1. preparing French cooking recipies
2. learning French table manners or etiquette while eating
3. driving a car (if holding a valid permit) with teacher giving instructions in French
4. using a computer following teacher's directions
5. visiting various sites of the village of Leysin
6. doing errands (with or without teacher) in shops to practice French
7. using a telephone in French with real conversations
8. various other aspects of daily life proposed by the students themselves.
The VOXLINGUA language program is directed by Dr. B. Hourcade who holds a Ph.D. in French literature from the University of Colorado and a “Licence” and “Maîtrise” in English literature from the University of Bordeaux, France.
Dr. Bertrand Hourcade is the author of several pedagogical books on French and English language teaching, the most famous being the Dictionnaire explicatif des verbes français, already translated into Chinese and currently being translated into several other languages.
Laura Hourcade is an American and Swiss French teacher. She holds a B.A. and an M.A. in French language and literature, as well as a TEFL certificate for English language teaching, from the University of Boulder in Colorado. She has taught French and English in various countries including the USA, France (Bordeaux University) and Switzerland.
Dr. Gabriel Hourcade is a Franco-Swiss-American national. He holds a “Licence” in English literature from the University of Chambéry, France and an M.A. in French from the University of Boulder, Colorado. He recently finished his Ph.D. in French literature at the University of California in Davis.